Nigerian Insider brings you a step by step guide on how to apply for a Nigerian passport online.
In this 2021, there should not be a reason for you to let someone charge you – before acquiring a Nigerian travelling passport.
Nigeria Insider is aimed at providing you with all the information and guides about anything completely in Nigeria. From Entertainment in Nigeria, Businesses in Nigeria, Business Plans in Nigeria, Celebrities Net worth in Nigeria, Farming business in Nigeria, Salary Structure in Nigeria and more.
Today’s article is solely about how average Nigerians can apply for a Standard Passport online from the comfort of their room.
There are numerous countries that are visa free countries for Nigerian passport holders though – but a citizen has to go through some legal process, apply for your Passport in Nigeria before being able to attend any of these visa free countries.
If you live in Nigeria and having a Passport, then your passport is probably an ECOWAS passport. The ECOWAS passport allows you to travel into only fifteen West African countries that includes: Niger, Benin Republic, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Togo, and others.
Before you can travel out of Nigeria and not within any West African countries, then you will have to apply for an international Nigerian passport yourself.
Nigerians outside the country can also apply for Nigerian passport online anytime they wish.
If you are living in Nigeria, kindly keep in mind that – Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) is responsible and in charge of issuing an electronic passport (e-passport) for all new applicants.
A Nigerian must have an international passport if willing to travel outside Nigeria or West Africa and can apply for either a 32 page booklet or a 64 page booklet.
In our today’s article, I will like to show you how to apply for a Passport online in Nigeria easily — by visiting the Nigerian Immigration Service portal.
Requirements To Apply For Nigerian International Passport
According to the Nigeria immigration office, these are the requirements for an international passport for both adults and children.
Citizenship by Birth
Requirements for Adults
- Must be 18 years and above
- An already filled Application for processing the passport
- 2 passport photo currently
- Payment documents
- Local government area identification Certificate
- A guarantor application for that is completed (with a copy of the data page of guarantor Nigerian e-passport and one passport-sized photo of guarantor)
- Marriage certificate
- Declaration of change of name (if applicable)
Requirements For Children
- A passport Application form that is fully completed
- One current passport size photo – that is well signed on the other side by the parents.
- A Valid Birth Certificate
- Proof of Parents being citizen of Nigeria
- A Letter of consent from parents
- Proof of payment made for the Nigerian passport
- You can submit a court order and Letter of Approval from the State Ministry of Women if the child is adopted
Citizenship by Naturalization
- Certificate of Naturalization duly issued by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
- Completed passport application form and 2 passport sized photographs (passport photographs endorsed at the back by the Guarantor)
- Completed Guarantors’ form duly signed by a Commissioner for Oaths attached with Photocopy of Data page of Guarantor’s Nigerian ePassport and one passport-sized photograph of the Guarantor
- Marriage certificate where applicable
- Birth Certificate or data page of previous passport as evidence of age
- Acknowledgement slip and evidence of payment
Citizenship by Registration
- Certificate of Registration duly issued by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
- Completed passport application form and 2 passport sized photographs (passport photographs endorsed at the back by the Guarantor);
- Completed Guarantors’ form duly signed by a Commissioner for Oaths attached with Photocopy of Data page of Guarantor’s Nigerian ePassport; and one passport-sized photograph of the Guarantor;
- Marriage certificate where applicable;
- Birth Certificate or data page of previous passport as evidence of age;
- Acknowledgement slip and evidence of payment.
Fresh Passport Application Form Fee in Nigeria
All passport fees are exclusive of bank charges, ₦2000 Address Verification fee. Administrative charges are non-refundable and payment of passport fees for such cases are subject to approval of application.
In terms of applying for a 64 page passport booklet, there is no age classification involved.
|Categories||32 Page Booklets||64 Page Booklets|
|Age (0 t0 17 years)||Age (18 to 59 years)||Age (60 years and above)|
|Passport Booklet Fee||₦8,750||₦15,000||₦8,750||₦20,000|
|Address Verification Fee||₦2,000||₦2,000||₦2,000||₦2,000|
Types Of Passports in Nigeria
There are type types of Nigerian passport that are issued by the Nigerian Immigration service. These passports are:
- Standard Passport (Green Cover)
- Diplomatic Passport (Red Cover)
- Official Passport (Blue Cover)
- Seaman’s Passport (Maroon Cover)
- Pilgrim Passport (color changes yearly)
How To Pay For A New Passport In Nigeria
Applicant has to pay for a Nigerian passport when applying for fresh and any type of passport application online. This is how to pay for a Passport in Nigeria.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU CAN PAY FOR YOUR APPLICATIONS USING ANY VISA/MASTER CARD.
- Log in through portal.immigration.gov.ng
- From the passport menu.
- Click on fresh/passport renewal tab.
- Choose “Standard e-passport” from the passport type drop down.
- Select “Country from processing country drop down e.g. Nigeria.
- Click “Start application.
- Fill the form and complete the fields provided with the correct details.
- Tick “I accept full responsibility for the information provided in this form.
- The portal generates an application ID and reference Number unique to your application.
- You are prompted to print the acknowledgment form and “Continue application”.
- Click continue.
- Click ”Proceed to online payments”.
- Please note these are the ONLY authorized payment platform.
- Select any of these : Innovate1pay, Net post pay, Pay Arena, Teasy, Saana pay.
- Click Continue.
- You have an option of card or bank payment.
- Select proceed to payment.
- If card option chosen, complete details.
- If bank; Print slip for further processing at bank where you pay at bank’s POS cash.
Please Note : The approved payment gateway is as stated on the portal.
How To Apply for A Nigerian Passport Online
After getting to know all the requirements before someone will be eligible for the Nigerian travelling passport, you can check below for how to apply for a passport online in Nigeria.
- Open the Nigerian Immigration Service portal: portal.immigration.gov.ng
- Select the type of passport you want
- Choose the country you are processing the passport from and click on “Start Application”
- Check the application form and fill all information required
- Upload copies of your scanned documents
- Choose your choice of payment method
- Select the “Submit” button after successful payment
- After payment, an applicant will be given an Application ID and a Ref number
- Print the Guarantor’s form and get it certified (Click here for guarantor’s requirement and download form)
- Submit the completed application form with additional required documents in person at the Passport office in Nigeria.
- There will be a date scheduled for an interview, photographs and taking of biometrics records.
Note: Applicants are required to appear at chosen Nigerian Immigration Office for photograph and biometric data capturing.
Watch Video Of How To Apply For A Passport Online In Nigeria
Though there is an option for you to apply for the Nigerian passport online, you can also apply for Nigeria passport via offline (Manual process).
How To Apply For A Nigeria Passport Offline
If you would love to apply for a Nigerian Passport using the manual process, you should take the precautions to avoid any fraud scheme.
Make sure no one runs away with your money and take advantage of your documents.
Applying for a new passport in Nigeria at the Nigerian Immigration Office can take almost 3 days to process after your biometric data has been taken.
To apply for a Passport in Nigeria, you will have to visit the Nigerian Immigration Service office with the required details, provide your bio-data and pay for the application and the processing fee – for your passport to be processed for you within a month.
Recommended Post: How To Apply For Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria
Now, you are done with how to apply for a Nigerian Passport for travelling.
You can share this post with anyone living abroad – to also apply for his or her Nigerian international passport with application form online.
All Questions Answered About Passport Application Online in Nigeria
How Much Is International Passport From Nigeria To USA?
Applicants need to apply in person and should present documents that prove U.S. citizenship (birth certificate or naturalization certificate) and the current U.S. Passport. Bring one (1) photo 2×2 inches. The fee is $145 payable in dollars or the equivalent in Nigerian Naira in cash at the Embassy
How Many Types Of Passport Does Nigeria Have?
Nigeria has 5 different passport types. These are: Standard, Diplomatic, Official, Seamans and Pilgrims Passport
Can An American Get A Nigerian Passport?
An American passport that is valid for at least six months is required for entry into Nigeria. Obtaining a passport requires a completed application, documentation that includes proof of citizenship and proof of identification, a passport photo and the payment of all current passport fees
How Long Does It Take To Get An International Passport in Nigeria?
Approximately, a new passport application takes around 48 hours to process after your biometric data has been taken to get your passport ready in Nigeria
How To Check Nigerian Passport Application Status?
Log in through portal.immigration.gov.ng. Click Apply on line. Click on Application Payment Status. Select Passport or Visa and Insert Application I.D and Ref
How Do I Check My Passport Payment Status?
To check your Nigerian passport payment status, move the mouse pointer over Passports on the menu bar, and then click on Application home on the menu bar. Move the mouse pointer over the Services Link on the menu bar, on the drop-down menu that appears, click on Check Payment Status. Enter your reference number and Application ID issued to you when you submitted your application. Choose the correct option for application type and click on Search Record
I missed my interview date, please how do I reschedule another appointment?
Move the mouse pointer over Passports on the menu bar, and then click on Application home on the menu bar. Move the mouse pointer over the Processing Link on the menu bar, on the drop down menu that appears, click on Interview reschedule. Enter your reference number and Application ID and click on Search Record. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Re-schedule button. Your application is redisplayed with a new interview date
How To Convert/upgrade From Normal Passport To E-passport
Move the mouse pointer over Passports on the menu bar, and then click on MRP-Passport on the menu bar. Move the mouse pointer over the Services Link on the menu bar, on the drop down menu that appears, click on upgrade to e-passport. Enter your reference number and Application ID and click on Search Record.
How to Update an Incomplete Passport Application?
Move the mouse pointer over Passports on the menu bar, and then click on Application home on the menu bar. Move the mouse pointer over the Processing Link on the menu bar, on the drop-down menu that appears, click on application completion. Enter your reference number and Application ID and click on Search Record.
You can now apply for a Nigerian passport online. The application process is simple and easy to use with online application guidelines.
Anytime you have an issue regarding how to apply for a passport in Nigeria online, you should not hesitate to make use of the comment box below to reach us and we shall provide you with the possible answer.